I hadn’t previously heard about this whacky diet concocted by a doctor called Dr. back in 1939, who clearly knew nothing bout food, nutrition, or health. When I read about it today, I almost well off my chair.
“The Rice Diet was created by Walter Kempner, MD, in 1939 while he was a professor at Duke University, according to a May 2014 article in the Journal of the American Heart Association.
His theory was that decreasing protein intake by sticking to a rice and fruit diet could reduce stress on the kidneys and thus effectively treat renal failure.”
“The Rice Diet — which, in its original format, included only rice and fruit — has been around since 1939. But what is it, and is it as effective as some people say when it comes to weight loss and other health conditions?” Livestrong.com
His idea was based around concocting a diet that would “make” his patients lose weight — it worked! 90% or more lost over 100 lbs. on average.
Once his patients completed their “scientific trial,” with which the doctor wanted to validate his stupid diet as a superior diet and weight loss option, they all soon fell sick and soon put the weight back on.
Eating only rice and some fruits is dangerous and dumb!
This nutty diet consists of around 95% carbs, sugar, and no decent source of protein.
No protein — really?
I’m not sure if you know we are basically made of protein — protein is the building block of life and what keeps us alive.
No, or little protein in your diet will starve and soon kill you — that’s a fact!
When I read about this ridiculous “so-called” weight loss rice diet, my thoughts and emotions were all over the place. I felt angry and sad.
What? Wow. No, this can’t be. How can people be so ignorant and harm their health by eating foods lacking the most vital nutrients but instead consisting of carbs and sugar, and believe that’s healthy?
What the hell was this “doctor” thinking? Was it for his personal gain and to profit from the poor souls, desperate to lose weight, and would do anything to make that happen?
Let’s take a look at the Rice Diet Plan — it makes me shudder:
Rice Diet Menu Plan
- Phase one: This stage lasts one week. The basic Rice Diet menu — rice and fruit — is only eaten on the first day. So, what can you eat rice with after that? For the other six days, dieters can include vegetables, whole-grain bread, cereal, and some nonfat dairy or plant milk.
- Phase two: This stage lasts until you reach your weight goal and focuses on creating dietary habits for lasting weight loss. Each week begins with one day of the basic Rice Diet. Then, you add in the grains, vegetables, and nonfat milk for the remainder of the week, on one day of your choice, including one protein source, such as fish, extra nonfat dairy, or organic eggs. Phase two contains slightly more sodium and more calories than phase one.
- Phase three: This is the maintenance phase, which gives dieters more choices, additional protein, and more flexibility with sodium.
In each phase, you eat specific portions of each food to control your calorie intake.
The Rice Diet menu is divided into starch (carbs), nonfat dairy, vegetables, fruit, a little protein, and carb-loaded pro-inflammatory grains:
- One starch equals 1/3 cup cooked rice or dried beans, 1/2 cup cooked grains, pasta or starchy vegetable, one slice of bread, or 1/4 to 1 cup of cereal.
- One serving of nonfat dairy equals 1 cup of nonfat cow’s, plant milk, or plain yogurt
- One vegetable serving is 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw vegetables
- One fruit serving is one medium-sized fruit or 1 cup of grapes or fruit
- One serving of protein is 1 ounce of fish, skinless poultry, lean meat, or 1/4 cup of cooked dried beans or peas.
“Dieters” can eat any fruit, grain, or vegetable they like as long as there is no added salt or fat. In addition, one teaspoon of maple syrup or honey is allowed each day.
→ All of the above is sugar wit no vital nutrients ←
So basically, with this “nutty rice diet,” you are cutting out vital protein and healthy fats, and instead, eating carbs = glucose = sugar + fruit + pure sugar = a sugar rush and starvation diet that will make you age and very sick.
That’s madness and will cause a metabolic disaster for your body!
Enough said. This diet is not a diet — it’s a nonsensical stupid idea created by a mad doctor in 1939.
Sadly, thousands of unsuspecting folks gave this thing a go over time while depriving themselves of essential nutrients and becoming sick.
I beg you never to attempt this.
I won’t call it a diet, as it’s not worthy of that name. The “Rice Diet” isn’t a diet. It’s a dangerous and stupid idea that deprives you of the food your body and mind need to survive and thrive.
You will lose weight in the short term, but you’ll also lose your health, making you sick. Once you’re forced to eat proper food again to survive, you’ll add all the weight back on anyway.
During this process, you will have probably lost 1 year of your life!
Just don’t do it! Eat real, unprocessed, protein-rich, natural foods instead.
Please support my work and become a Medium.com member.